Thursday, November 4, 2010

Bridging the Gap Between Dreaming and Doing

Uh oh, wake up call, it's time to start drafting a curriculum and a strategic plan for my future nucleo! Brainstorming and dreaming are easy, but I need to start thinking about how in the world I'm going to turn what's in my imagination into reality. Yes, my nucleo will be a real place, with real kids and real people working there. Yikes!

It's time to start thinking about the serious stuff: Is my nucleo going to be part of a university? Part of a charter school? Public school? Will it be a separate after-school program? Will there be a partnership with an orchestra? A chamber music group? How will I fund my nucleo? Who will I hire? What type of community will it be in? Who will the students be? Will they come to me or will I have to recruit? How old will they be? What resources can I offer? What instruments will be taught? Will there be chorus? Music literacy classes? How many hours a day? How many days a week? How many students? So many decisions to make!

I feel like I'm hanging out on one side of a chasm. On this side are all my dreams, wishes, hopes and aspirations for what I want to accomplish. On the other side is my nucleo and all the concrete steps I have to take in order to create it. I'm feeling pretty comfortable over here on this side, but I know that in order to start the planning process, I'm going to have to force myself to take one REALLY big step over to the other side.

Here I go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment